Monday 1 April 2013

Time management for self-publishers

Ah, time. That elusive thing we all don't seem to have enough of - at least not as the years move on in life. In youth, we generally tend to feel we have endless hours... to squander away on worthless activities.

Time management is a fallacy. We are all dealt exactly the same 24 hours every day, and in the real world there is no management of this valuable resource.

If there are practical time management tools that we have, it is these: Prioritize and Focus.

As a writer with a 9-to-5 job, productive use of time is something that does not always come easy. Add to this running a part-time business, and time management becomes a real fantasy. Prioritize and Focus.

When I started this blog, I had made big changes with regards to my part-time business, and other online activities. I did that because I wanted to focus on my writing. As life would have it, it wasn't to be...

I was inundated with book design and e-cover projects, and although I am extremely thankful to each and every one of my clients, my personal writing took a back seat.

If you have been following my self-publishing diary, and have been disappointed by the scarcity of the posts, I do really apologize.

The good news... I recently spent a few days planning, and revisiting my priorities, as well as what I need to focus on. What I came up with is what I believe to be a practical plan.

I want to share what I did with you, and how I plan to make better use of my available time. It's my hope that you will also use and benefit from (especially if you're a writer with a 9-to-5 job).

I will share the plan with you in the next post.

In the meantime, are there any questions or comments you may have about time constraints with writing and holding down a job?

Here are 2 videos I think you may find interesting...


Stephen King on e-books


Tip on Book Writing & Research from Dan Poynter

No comments:

Post a Comment