Monday 28 April 2014

Self Publishing and Life

By Colin Dunbar
Writing and self publishing with a 9 to 5 job, and a family can be challenging, but it is possible. Sometimes, when life's priorities come your way, writing usually takes a back seat (or, more accurately, dealines). The thing to remember is not to give up. That's what happened with my posting to my self publishing diary. Although I missed my weekly scheduled posting, I am able to post now.

On the plus side, work on my books didn't slip by the way side. The past 2 weeks I was still able to work on my books, and the new web project my son and I are busy with.

On to what I did...

Writing and Reading

FBIW. The next post at formatbookinword.com went up on time.

Invest in Yourself. Apart from formatbookinword.com, this is where most of my time was spent. I was able to write a few hundred words on this book.

Web project. This is progressing well, and we have received the first WIP version of the application. Soon we'll be getting the first draft and my son and I will be able to start testing.

I didn't do anything on TCRW, but that wasn't a problem as this book is low on my priority list at present.

I made a start on a free report that will be available at formatbookinword.com, and I will post about it here as well.

As I said in my last post, I can now share the title of the book I'm presently reading: Training Your Brain for Dummies. If you're interested in learning the basics of how the brain functions, this is a good book. I'm not that far yet, but there are also exercises to help keep the brain alert, and to help improve memory.

I also had the privilege of reviewing this e-course: Pick up Your Memoir Again... And Finish it! If you're writing your memoir, but haven't worked on it in a while, this e-course may be just the thing you need to get going again, and actually finish it (the link for the e-course is below).


Cyber Surfing

Children Say The Best Things in Bookshops
http://jen-campbell.blogspot.com/2014/04/children-say-best-things-in-bookshops.html

New AAP Stats Show that the US eBook Market Saw Excellent Growth in 2013
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheDigitalReader/~3/i3vyZC_WKWY/

Pick Up Your Memoir Again…and Finish It!
http://thememoirnetwork.com/shop/pick-up-your-memoir-again/

This is from a newsletter I received a while ago... I thought it was really neat.

What Do You See?

When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over my yard.
What my kids see are flowers for Mom and blowing white fluff you can wish on.
When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me, I see a smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look away.
What my kids see is someone smiling at them and they smile back.
When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune, so I sit self-consciously and listen.
What my kids hear is the beat and move to it. They sing the words and if they don't know them, they make up their own.
When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk.
What my kids feel is they close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing.
When I pray, I say thee and thou and grant me this, give me that.
What my kids pray is "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends."
When I see a mud puddle I step around it. I see muddy shoes and dirty carpets.
What my kids see are dams to build, rivers to cross, and worms to play with.
I wonder if we are given kids to teach or to learn from?

~ Author Unknown ~

Remember, have a great writing week, and ALWAYS believe in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment