Sunday 13 April 2014

You CAN Self Publish Your Book

By Colin Dunbar


Greetings!

Sunday morning. The weather is overcast, with small patches of blue sky here and there. It's still a great day to be alive, and there's a lot to be grateful for.

I received a mail from someone last week, and he said he didn't think I should include personal things here, like snippets about friend's babies. He suggested I keep the focus on self publishing and writing, as this is what this blog is about. What do you think? Should I follow his advice?

It's awesome that I've crushed writer's block - ever since my writing about it here, a few weeks ago. I've had absolutely no problem writing, and am actually writing more than I've done in a long time. I hope to share my successes with you, and in so doing, encourage you to write more and self publish your own material.

I did finish the second draft of my client's ebook, and I'm now waiting for her feedback. Then it'll be the final copy and the project will be wrapped up.

My focus now is going to be on the following, and these are what I'll be reporting on in my self publishing diary...

Writing and Reading

FBIW. This is my blogged book at www.formatbookinword.com, and it's priority #1. So far I've kept to my schedule of posting every week. The next post goes up on Monday again, and the one following that is already written.

SPD. This self publishing diary is priority #2, and also, since starting to write again, I have no problem writing these posts. Every Sunday morning I sit outside, with a cup of tea, and I'm able to write these. Life is great!

IIY2. Some months ago, I briefly mentioned this book, but I didn't give a lot of detail. If you're considering writing a memoir, this section may be of interest to you.

In 2004 I wrote and self published my memoir, Invest In Yourself, which is the story of my home business endeavors (both successes and failures). As it's 10 years later, I decided to update this to the 2nd edition, and again share what I did over the past decade. Geez, it's amazing how time flies when you're having fun. This book is my third priority.

TCRW. This is a book I've been threatening to write for the past 5 or so years. I have now eventually put ito n my priority list, and actually made a start.

TCRW is also a memoir (although would say it should be a autobiography), and is the story of my 35 years in the technical writing field. It is a challenge going back so many years, but by doing it systematically and step-by-step, I'm able to piece together the history. I can tell you, sometimes I chuckle when I think back on how we did things before computers were so common, especially in the technical writing field.

This project is priority #4, and is a book that will not get my full attention all the time.

And there you have my writing priorities. I hope by sharing my progress with these, I'll be able to offer you some encouragement with your writing efforts. Nothing would please me more than helping you to write and self publish your own book. I can assure you, having that published book in your hands is an awesome feeling! And it is possible, even if you have a 9-to-5 job, and between life's other responsibilities.

I finished reading Writing Fiction for Dummies, and again, I can only say this book is one of the best investments I've made. If you're interested in writing fiction, this is a great book to get.

I've started reading my next book, but I want to get a little further into it before I say anything about it.


Cyber Surfing

As usual I also did a lot of reading on the web, and would like to share some interesting links with you.

Press Release: Ebook Development Training And Certification for All Skill Levels, An Industry First
http://www.bookbusinessmag.com/article/ebook-development-training-and-certification-all-skill-levels-an-industry-first/1

The Guardian Announces Self-Publishing Award
http://www.selfpublishingreview.com/2014/04/the-guardian-announces-self-publishing-award/

Just Look Around
http://www.becomingminimalist.com/just-look-around/

And here is something to laugh about...

What does a style of writing LOOK like?
http://blog.bookbaby.com/2014/03/styles-of-writing-an-illustration/

That's it for another week. Remember, have a great writing week, and ALWAYS believe in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment